Sound Devices 788T
Portable, Eight Input, Twelve-Track Recorder with Time Code
The 788T is a powerful eight input, twelve-track digital audio recorder designed for production sound.
Its eight full-featured inputs ensure superb audio quality. They accept either microphone or line-level signals, provide 48 V phantom power for condenser microphones, offer peak limiters for microphone inputs, and fully adjustable high-pass filters. Support for AES42 digital microphones is also available. Extensive routing flexibility allows each input to be routed to left/right mixed tracks, isolated tracks, or aux tracks. With optional CL-8 Controller, the 788T is even easier to use, making the combination a flexible mixer/recorder, with lots of operational flexibility.
The 788T has three options for recording media, internal 160 GB SATA hard drive, CompactFlash media with UDMA support, or an external FireWire hard drive or DVD-RAM (with bus powering). Any or all of these can be used simultaneously. Additionally, when connected to Mac OS, or Windows computers with high-speed USB or FireWire 400/800, the 788T functions as a high-speed mass storage device.
To simplify interconnection with mixers and cameras with AES3 connectivity, the 788T has eight channels of balanced AES3 digital input and six channels of balanced AES3 output. The 788T can be clocked from external word clock or from video sync. The 788T has a high-accuracy time code reader/generator on board. It includes auto-record features to chase external rec-run video sources. To simplify metadata entry the 788T directly accepts USB keyboards. Keyboard shortcuts can be programmed to control menu items and machine transport. The extensive power of the 788T simplifies any production sound setup.
- Eight mic/line inputs, each controlled with front panel, pop-out gain controls
- 12-track recording, to record iso's, stereo mix track, and two-track aux, Aux1, Aux2
- Each input has solo headphone monitoring, 48 V phantom, limiter, polarity reverse, high-pass, and selectable delay
- Selectable sampling rate converters on each digital input
- Sampling rate selectable up to 96 kHz
- AES42 digital microphone support
- Backlit LCD display viewable in any environment
- 8 x 13-segment Peak/VU meters with arm LED
- Word clock in and out with tri-level video sync support
- Time code generator supports all data rates; holds time code for four hours with no power sources attached
- Internal 160 GB, 2.5-inch SATA hard drive
- CompactFlash slot with UDMA support
- Powered by removable Li-ion rechargeable batteries
- External DC power input operates unit and charges Li-ion battery
- Back panel multi-pin connector for one-cable connection to digital mixing board (AES input/output, power, switch closure in/out)
- FireWire 400/800 and USB 2.0 connections for ultra-fast file tranfer between 788T's CF and HDD to computer
- USB keyboard input for control
- Aluminum & stainless-steel chassis for exceptional durability and light weight
- Designed for the same operational environmental extremes as Sound Devices field mixers